Thursday, August 6, 2015

DIY Ikea Makeup Vanity Hacka

Like some of you, I’ve tried many, many, MANY makeup storage solutions and none of them lasted more than a few months.  It would seem like a good idea at first, but when used on a day-to-day basis, it wasn’t practical.
One storage solution (the common wooden Ikea box) lasted me the longest.  It held all of my makeup and had enough drawers to keep everything organized.  The big problem was that I couldn’t see everything.  If I don’t see it, I won’t use it.

Then I saw this coffee pod drawer in the weekly Bed Bath & Beyond advertisement and thought it would be perfect.  Sadly, it only lasted a week or two.  The makeup jars rolled from side to side and made a ridiculous amount of noise every time I opened the drawer.

I was getting close to the perfect solution….I could feel it!

I decided not only did I need a makeup drawer, I wanted a small vanity.  That way, I have a place to sit, relax, do my makeup, and Mel wouldn’t have to deal with me taking up counter space in the bathroom.  We made a trip to Ikea and I think I’ve made the perfect vanity to fit my needs!  Every time I walk into the room, I love the vanity more and more.  I think this will last a long time. =)

The glass top allows me to see EVERYTHING.  Love, love, love.

Our bedroom is a little small so this compact vanity is just right.  NOTE:  The Ikea instructions say to either have a support in the middle of the shelf or have the legs/brackets closer together.  Therefore, please follow the instructions carefully if you plan to have a lot of weight on your shelf.  I do not have a lot of weight on there and I don’t lean on the shelf so I’m taking the risk. =)

Acrylic containers (more info below) easily slide in and out.

IMPORTANT:  Do NOT use the screws that come with the legs because they are too long.  Instead, use shorter screws from your local home improvement store.

Products Used:


1. SHELF AND LEGS:  Four Vika Curry legs attached to an Ekby Gruvan shelf (46 7/8″ x 11″).  IMPORTANT:  Do not use the screws that come with the legs because they are too long.  Instead, use shorter screws from your local home improvement store.
Update:   The shelf now only comes in black.  Also, the Vika Curry legs have been discontinued, but the Vika Adils legs are similiar.

2.MIRROR:  Kolja round mirror

3.STOOL:  The Gilbert stool is small and doesn’t take up too much space.  Future project is a cushion to make the seat more comfortable.
Update:  This particular stool has also been discontinued, but another cheap alternative is the Marius stool.

4.CLEAR TRAYS:  Darice Jewelry Designer Bead Storage System with 24 Containers.  I found the acrylic trays in the craft section at Walmart, but you can also find them in the jewelry/bead section at Michaels, www.createforless.com, or Joann Fabric and Craft stores.  Three containers fit on each side of the shelf.  Each bead storage container comes with 24 empty round jars.  After buying 6 containers, I ended up with a ton of jars.  I saved some to use when I travel (i.e. lotion, travel makeup, pills) and gave the rest away to friends.

5.CLEAR ORGANIZER:  The Godmorgon box with compartments goes perfectly on top to hold more makeup products and tools.

NOTES:

1.The shelf is only 11 inches deep.  Therefore, it may be too small for some of you.  If you need a larger vanity, the Vika Gruvan table top is much larger.

2.Since the shelf is not very deep, I don’t have a need for a magnifying mirror because I lean forward and I’m close enough to the wall mirror.  Also, it would take up more room and I like having an empty surface.

3.If you don’t mind putting holes in the wall, the shelf can be used with different kinds of brackets as well. This content has been republished from source for informational purposes.
Similar Templates

0 comments: